Jitro is an award-winning choir from the Czech Republic. The choir tours regularly in many European, Asian and American countries. Jitro takes part in international music festivals and cooperates with philharmonic orchestras. Choir is a complex institution with a membership of around 450 young singers ranging between 5 and 19 years of age. MORE INFO
Jitro & Prague Symphony Orchestra
(Published on 2015-12-09)
Dreamy Carols with Prague Symphony Orchestra in Smetana Hall in Prague
Czech Childrens' Choir Jitro performed with Prague Symphony Orchestra on December 9th and 10th, 2015 in Smetana Hall in Prague. The program was tailored pre-Christmas period - Christmas carols arranged by the Czech composers Luboš Fišer, Miloš Bok and Jan Kučera.
Tickets are available at Colosseum Ticket:
December 9, 2015 at 10:00 a.m. (public rehearsal),
December 9, 2015 at 7:30 p.m.,
December 10, 2015 at 7:30 p.m.
Prague Symphony Orchestra
The Prague Symphony Orchestra was founded in the autumn of 1934 by the conductor Rudolf Pekárek. He defined the new ensemble’s fields of activity with the words Film-Opera-Koncert, and such the abbreviation FOK became part of the orchestra’s title. By recording music for the majority of Czech films in the 1930s and performing regularly in live broadcasts on the Czechoslovak Radio, the FOK Orchestra made a name for itself and its economic existence was assured. This allowed the gradual development of regular concerts, whose main promoter from the very beginning was Dr. Václav Smetáček. Over the course of the orchestra’s history many of the world´s most important conductors have appeared with the FOK as guest conductors, as well as a wide range of soloists. The orchestra has performed in nearly every country in Europe, repeatedly in Japan and the USA, and has also visited South America, Puerto Rico, Taiwan, Korea, Turkey, Israel and Oman.
The Municipal House & Smetana Hall
The Municipal House (Czech: Obecní dům) is a major civic landmark and concert hall in Prague, and an important building in architectural and political history in the Czech Republic. It is situated on Náměstí Republiky 5, next to the Powder Gate.
Around 1900, the building was commissioned by the city on an odd-shaped lot and the subject of one architectural competition, then another, both unsatisfactory. The job was then simply given to architects Osvald Polívka and Antonín Balšánek, who served as much as artistic coordinators as designers. Construction started in 1905 and it opened in 1912.
The Art Nouveau structure is an artifact of the Czech nationalism of the time and carries a wealth of ornament by some of the leading Czech artists of its day. The main facade features a large ceramic half-dome mosaic above the entry, Homage to Prague, by Karel Špillar. On either side are allegorical sculpture groups representing The Degradation of the People and The Resurrection of the People by Ladislav Šaloun, while the remainder of the rich decoration was done by Josef Mařatka, František Úprka and others, with light stands designed by Karel Novák. Inside there are murals by the famous Alfons Mucha, Jan Preisler and Max Švabinský and others, all of this on nationalist themes.
The main space within the Municipal House is the concert space, Smetana Hall, for 1.200 people, named in honor of Bedřich Smetana. On October 28, 1918, Smetana Hall was the scene of the proclamation of the independent state of Czechoslovakia.